Astrid Veldwijk, hotel manager on Uniworld's Joie de Vivre, offered the following advice:
1. Embrace the unknown and be open to the local culture.
2. Grab a map and go out and explore by yourself.
3. If you are traveling with a group, break off and mingle with other guests from time to time. Much of the joy of travel comes from meeting other people from other cultures.
4. Get active. Try the pool aerobics, ride a bike, spend a few minutes in the gym.
5. Don’t pack too much. Pile up the clothes you are thinking of taking and leave half behind.