Royal Caribbean International is doubling down on Cuba.
Despite new, more restrictive Cuba rules announced by the Trump Administration last month, Royal Caribbean will send two ships—Majesty of the Seas and Empress of the Seas—to two new Cuban destinations—Santiago de Cuba and Cienfuegos—out of Florida next year.
Fuego is right. We’re adding two new destinations to our Cuba sailings with the addition of Santiago de Cuba and Cienfuegos so you can explore even more of this iconic island. https://t.co/xGLHw30AKv pic.twitter.com/qX4OQURT3p— Royal Caribbean (@RoyalCaribbean) November 30, 2017
“The added sailings and breadth of experiences at the new ports of Santiago de Cuba and Cienfuegos on the southeast coast give will give your clients even more ways to immerse themselves in the culture and history of the vibrant island,” a Royal Caribbean spokesperson said in an email to travel agents yesterday.
Empress will sail roundtrip from Miami on seven-night Best of Cuba journeys that include stops in Cienfuegos, Havana, and Nassau. The ship will also take five-night sailings with an overnight in Havana and a stop at Key West; and eight-night sailings with stops in Cienfuegos, Santiago de Cuba, Grand Cayman, and Labadee.
Majesty will continue to embark on four- and five-night sailings, including journeys with overnight stays in Havana. Majesty will homeport in South Florida in the winter and Tampa during the summer months.
All of Royal’s sailings offer shore excursions that the cruise line says will meet new U.S. regulations for travel to Cuba.
When the changes to the Cuba policy were initially announced earlier this month, a Royal Caribbean spokesperson said at the time that “it does not appear there will be any changes for cruise” despite some fears that there would be.