Norwegian Cruise Line on Wednesday announced that it is extending its suspension through Oct. 31, 2020 as the line continues to deal with the impact of COVID-19.
All voyages between Oct. 1 and Oct. 31 will be cancelled (the company had previously cancelled voyages through Sept.) for all three Norwegian brands—NCL, Oceania, and Regent Seven Seas. With the news, Norwegian has extended its cancellations a month past the CDC’s cruise ban, which is currently set to expire at the end of September.
Norwegian said that it will update its schedule at the end of each month, including any potential further suspensions.
Norwegian also announced that its Peace of Mind policy will be extended through Oct. 31, 2021. That policy allows guests to cancel their cruise up to 15-days prior to departure and get a full refund in the form of a cruise credit that can be applied to any sailing through the end of 2022.
Peace of Mind allows for final cancellation for any 2020 sailing up to 48-hours prior to embarkation. Norwegian is also allowing 60 days, instead of the usual 120, for final payment for all 2020 voyages.
“Now more than ever, travelers are looking for freedom and flexibility,” NCL president and CEO Harry Sommer said in a statement. “We recognize the uncertainty we are feeling right now, so it is important guests know that we have their best interests in mind.”
Norwegian earlier this month announced that it had partnered with another cruise industry giant, Royal Caribbean, to develop a new set of enhanced cruise health and safety standards that they hope will restore confidence in the cruise industry.
The partnership, called the “Healthy Sail Panel,” includes Governor Mike Leavitt, former Secretary of the U.S. Department Health and Human Services (HHS), and Dr. Scott Gottlieb, former commissioner of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).