Less than two weeks after the United States Department of State warned Americans against traveling to Cuba, officials are telling news organizations that some U.S. private citizens who traveled to Cuba say they have experienced symptoms similar to the mysterious acoustic attacks on American diplomats in Havana.
"Since we issued the September 29 Travel Warning, we have received a handful of reports from U.S. citizens who report they experienced similar symptoms following stays in Cuba," a State Department official told CBS News. "We have no way of verifying whether they were harmed by the same attacks targeting official U.S. employees."
As reported in Travel Market Report, U.S. investigators have been unable to determine the cause of symptoms experienced by more than 20 U.S. diplomats working in Havana during the last year, and they do not know who may be behind the attacks. There has been unverified speculation that U.S. intelligence officials were targeted.
According to government reports, the symptoms experienced by diplomats began after the U.S. government staff heard loud and unexplained noises in homes and hotels. The U.S. has ordered most of its personnel and all families to leave Cuba, and issued a travel warning to American citizens.
Despite the travel warning, Celestyal Cruises said it will dock in Cuba starting Oct. 20.
"Recent incidents exclusively involving U.S. and Canadian diplomats, as reported in media, are entirely unrelated to tourism and currently under investigation by the governments of Cuba, the USA and Canada,” Celestyal Cruises said in a press release. “Safety and security at sea and on land are our highest priorities at Celestyal Cruises, and the company is pleased to be able to maintain its impeccable standards while providing our passengers with authentic lifetime experiences on one of the great gems of the Caribbean.”
Celestyal’s itinerary offers two full days and an overnight in Havana and one-day visits to Cienfuegos, Santiago de Cuba and Montego Bay, Jamaica.