CheapOair.com this week released a summary of travel trends from 2013 through 2017. Among the findings (based on booked trips, not number of passengers):
- The least number of travelers choose to depart on Sunday and Monday, making those the best days to fly.
- Thursday is the most crowded departure day.
- Domestic travel has increased by nearly 50% since 2013. The most significant jump came between 2016 and 2017, with an increase of 15%.
- Domestic ticket prices in 2017 were slighter higher than in 2016, but still lower than the average airfare since 2013.
- International airfare is at its lowest since 2013; 2017 average prices were 17% lower than in 2013.
- International travel has increased by nearly 170% since 2013. The most significant jump came between 2016 and 2017, with an increase of nearly 30%.
- The total number of passengers has increased by 85% since 2013.
- Average trip duration has increased from 10 days in 2013 to 13.61 days in 2017.