The debut of the first vessel from The Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection has been pushed back to June 2020, four months later than originally scheduled, due to delivery and project cost issues at the Hijos De J. Barreras shipyard in Spain.
"With additional challenges around the former shipyard management, both the new board of Hijos de J. Barreras and the board of The Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection are working cooperatively towards a long-term solution for the shipyard," the cruise line said in a statement.
The project is reportedly about €50 million (US$55 million) over budget.
The news follows Spanish media reports in August that the company had been officially informed that the ship would not be ready in time.
The line's first 298-guest ship will now sail June 13 on a seven-night cruise from Barcelona to Palma de Mallorca, featuring port calls in the Balearic Islands.
All Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection journeys departing Feb. 5 through June 13, 2020, have been canceled. Travel advisors’ commissions will be fully preserved, and bookings on canceled sailings may rebook other voyages in 2020 or on newly announced 2021 itineraries with a fare savings.
“While we are eager to welcome guests aboard, our focus remains on ensuring a seamless delivery of the standards of quality and service that The Ritz-Carlton is known for,” the statement said.
The luxury hotelier announced, in 2017, it would build three super yachts for the ultra-luxury market, all of which will be small enough to navigate ports and waterways that larger ships cannot reach. The order for an identical sister ship, to be delivered in 2021, was confirmed on May 30.