The Trump Administration on Sunday announced new, permanent restrictions on travel by foreigners from eight countries, as part of its updated version of the travel ban that was signed earlier this year.
The new version of the ban will include five countries from the previous list—Iran, Libya, Syria, Yemen, and Somalia—along with three new countries—Chad, North Korea, and Venezuela. Each country now included will get its own set of restrictions. Sudan, which was included in the last version, will have its restrictions lifted immediately.
The new travel restrictions are set to go into effect on Oct. 18.
"My highest obligation is to ensure the safety and security of the American people, and in issuing this new travel order, I am fulfilling that sacred obligation,” President Trump said in a statement.
The new requirements are:
—Both immigrants and non-immigrants from North Korea and Syria will not be allowed entry in the United States.
—Immigrants and non-immigrants on business and tourist visas from Chad, Yemen, and Libya will have their travel suspended.
—Immigrants from Somalia will be denied entry and nonimmigrants will have enhanced screening and vetting.
—Only those with valid student and exchange visitor visas will be allowed entry from Iran. Those with visas will still be subject to enhanced screening and vetting.
—Some government officials and their families from Venezuela will now be denied entry.
There are still some exceptions for citizens of the eight countries who have “bone fide” connections to the U.S., though those exceptions shrank since the last ban.
In a statement, the Global Business Travel Association (GBTA) applauded the decision, saying that the “White House has now established clearer criteria and a process for evaluating the admission of foreign visitors into the United States.”
“Through this process, the federal government was able to raise the level of security for travel into the United States through constructive bilateral engagement,” GBTA director and COO Michael W. McCormick said.
The first travel ban signed by the Trump Administration came during the first week of Mr. Trump’s presidency and placed restrictions on travelers from Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen. That version was struck down by a federal judge from Washington State and an appeals court.
Trump signed a second version later, which the Supreme Court then cleared through the summer. That version was set to expire just hours before Sunday’s version was signed.
The high court is expected to hear arguments on the ban on Oct. 10.