Cruise Lines Skip Amsterdam Calls Amidst New Tourist Tax

by Jessica Montevago
Cruise Lines Skip Amsterdam Calls Amidst New Tourist Tax

Two cruise lines are skipping calls at Passenger Terminal Amsterdam. Photo: VanderWolf Images/Shutterstock


Two cruise lines have changed their itineraries, replacing Amsterdam calls, after the city announced a new tourist tax that will apply to all cruisers stopping over at the destination.

Beginning Jan. 1, passengers visiting Amsterdam during a river or ocean cruise will be taxed €8 (about $9) for each day spent in the Dutch capital.

The “day tripper tax” will not apply to cruise passengers who are starting or ending a cruise in Amsterdam.

MSC Cruises reportedly cancelled 2019 and 2020 arrivals in Amsterdam, after the tax was confirmed last month. MSC ships will now dock in Rotterdam and offer passengers trips into Amsterdam.

Cruise & Maritime Voyages has also now switched port stops from Amsterdam to Rotterdam for calls in 2019 and 2020, affecting more than 50,000 passengers.

Cruise Line International Association (CLIA) said it was “disappointed” in the day tourist tax. “This means that cruise passengers visiting Amsterdam, who already pay a significant amount in port fees and other tariffs, will have to pay a further €8 per 24-hour period that they remain in the city, whilst other day tourists, who arrive in Amsterdam by train, bus or car, would not have to pay a day tourist tax and do not also pay port or other fees,” the organization said in a statement.

“Transit cruise passengers represent only 1 percent of the total tourist traffic in Amsterdam and last year the city of Amsterdam received over €60 million in net revenues from the Port of Amsterdam as a result of cruise calls to the city. In comparison, the remaining 99 percent of the tourist traffic are expected to contribute via all tourist taxes is just short of €80 million in 2019. It is self-evident that the contribution of cruise passengers is extremely disproportionate.

We also reiterate that the planned implementation time for this tax of just two months is far too short. Tickets for cruises are typically sold one to two years in advance and some companies may not be in a position to absorb this additional cost, and as a consequence there is a real risk of call cancellations, which could result in a budget deficit of several million euros for the city of Amsterdam as a result of reduced fees collected by the Port of Amsterdam. Call cancellations are the decision of individual cruise lines and CLIA cannot comment on these business decisions.”

  0
  1
Daily Top List

Top Things to Do in Minnesota

1. Brainerd’s Lakeland

2. North Shore State parks

3. Retro Chic at Detroit Lakes

4. Lanesboro’s Root River Charm

5. Grand Marais’ Art Scene

Source: Midwest Living

TMR THIS WEEK
http://services.travelsavers.com/AMGService.svc/REST/GetImage?ImageID=54ea58dc-0718-e911-800f-782bcb667b27

National Parks Make Headlines, Serve as Reminder to Travel Advisors to Ready Clients for Peak Season

Despite the current shutdown disruptions, the time for travel to these natural wonders will soon be upon us once more. Tour operators are at the ready, which means now is the time for travel advisors to think ahead.

TMR Recommendations
Top Stories
MSC Cruises Readies for Opening of Private Island, Ocean Cay Marine Reserve
MSC Cruises Readies for Opening of Private Island, Ocean Cay Marine Reserve

Surrounded by 64 square miles of protected water, Ocean Cay was designed to highlight the natural beauty of the Caribbean, with beach and water everywhere you look.

Oceania Insignia, Newly ‘Reinspired,’ Sets Sail on 180-Day World Cruise
Oceania Insignia, Newly ‘Reinspired,’ Sets Sail on 180-Day World Cruise

At $6,000 a month, you can see the world onboard the first of four Oceania ships that have been lightened and brightened.

Berkshire Hathaway Debuts Cruise Travel Insurance Called WaveCare
Berkshire Hathaway Debuts Cruise Travel Insurance Called WaveCare

WaveCare includes Berkshire Hathaway’s 24/7 global travel assistance. 

Viking Ocean Announces Itinerary, Dates for 2021 World Cruise
Viking Ocean Announces Itinerary, Dates for 2021 World Cruise

An ultimate adventure, the cruise is a 161-day journey that will take passengers to 75 ports spread across six continents.

Two New Ships for Oceania Cruises
Two New Ships for Oceania Cruises

Coming into service in 2022 and 2025, both vessels will accommodate 1,200 guests, have spacious staterooms and offer up fine cuisine.

Carnival Cruise Line Delays Room Service Changes
Carnival Cruise Line Delays Room Service Changes

The cruise line says it is in the process of making adjustments to its food plan to balance the interest of guests with its efforts to reduce food waste costs.

News Briefs
TMR Report Cards & Outlooks
Advertiser's Voice
Advertiser's Voice: Tauck