Travel Industry Braces as TSA Works Without Pay—Again
by Daniel McCarthy
Photo: David Tran Photo / Shutterstock.com
With last year’s 43-day government shutdown not totally out of sight, the U.S. travel industry is now dealing with yet another shutdown situation after funding for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) lapsed over the weekend.
The DHS, which includes the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), is now the only part of the government not funded after it was excluded from the latest full-year, $1.2 trillion funding bill that passed on Feb. 3. There is currently no timetable for when funding will be restored or when TSA workers will be paid; Congress is in a scheduled recess and is not expected to return until at least Feb. 23.
While not as disastrous as last year’s shutdown, which included the Department of Transportation (DOT) and the FAA, this latest partial closure could bring significant trouble to the travel sector.
U.S. Travel, Airlines for America, and the American Hotel & Lodging Association (AHLA) issued a joint statement over the weekend, warning that this latest standoff could impact one of the busiest travel times of the year: spring break.
A shutdown, the groups said, increases the risk of unscheduled absences and call-outs among TSA workers, which “ultimately can lead to higher wait times or missed or delayed flights.”
The industry is also warning of lasting damage to the entire travel ecosystem—damage that the U.S. travel industry can’t afford with both the 2026 World Cup and America’s 250th anniversary coming this summer.
“The nation should be focused on showcasing the country on the world stage and maximizing the multi-billion-dollar economic opportunity these events bring. A lapse in TSA funding will significantly undermine those efforts,” the groups said.
TSA Checkpoint Status
According to the TSA, checkpoints at airports remain open and operational—95% of the TSA workforce is considered “essential,” meaning they are legally required to report to work even without a paycheck.
While the workforce is likely to remain stable in the immediate term, Ha Nguyen McNeill, a senior official with the TSA, told a House subcommittee earlier this month that last year’s government shutdown led to a 25% increase in officers leaving the job. With the workforce just months removed from that previous lapse, another period without pay is expected to increase that attrition rate.
Some airports have already begun warning passengers about potential impacts. Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport (ATL) in Atlanta is advising passengers to arrive at least three hours early for domestic flights and four hours for international flights. Los Angeles International (LAX) and John F. Kennedy International (JFK) in New York are also warning of longer processing times in their customs halls.
Global Entry and PreCheck Applications
Applications for both TSA PreCheck and Global Entry remain open, but the experience on the ground varies by program.
Because TSA PreCheck is largely fee-funded and operated by third-party contractors, enrollment centers remain open and appointments are proceeding as scheduled.
Global Entry is a different story; since it is managed by Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers—many of whom are currently working without pay—in-person interviews at some enrollment centers have been suspended or canceled. Travelers currently in the application pipeline are being encouraged to use the “Enrollment on Arrival” option when returning from international flights, as those booths remain staffed by essential personnel despite the funding lapse.





