Slovakia changes right in front of your eyes, yet everything is nearby. Even in such a small area, you’ll find everything from natural treasures and historical monuments to rich folk culture and modern entertainment. It just takes a couple of hours to get from the Danubian Lowland to the Central European Highlands, still bodies of underground healing water are just at a stone's throw away from turbulent river rapids. Explore its splendid natural scenery, rich history, culture, and traditions.
- The European geographical central point is said to be in Slovakia called the Middle Of Europe.
- Slovakia is after Austriathe second country in the Central Europe with the largest amount of forests.
- The national type of cheese, Slovenská bryndza" can only be produced in Slovakia, within the entire European Union. It is made of non-pasterized sheep milk from the sheep kept in the middle, northern and eastern Slovakia.
- One of the most popular sports in Slovakia is ice-hockey. The national team won the golden medal from the World Championship in Sweden, in 2002, and players such as as Peter Štastný, Peter Bondra, Marian Hossa and Zdeno Chara shine in the NHL. You can find out more about the history and the present of this sport in Slovakia by visiting the „Hockey Hall of Fame“ in the Bratislava castle.
- The inventor of the parachute is the Slovak Štefan Banic.
- The Andy Warhol Pop Art Museum in Medzilaborceis today the only one of its type in Europe. It was founded as the first one in the world in 1991. The museum is situated near Miková – the village where Warhols parents came from.
- The Slovak National Uprising Bridge across the Danube River in Bratislava is unique in Europe. Its steel construction hanging on one pylon weights more than 7000 tons. There is a restaurant located in the pylon 80 m above the ground.
Slovakia is a special country. You can get swiftly from urban agglomerations to secluded, romantic getaways with unspoiled nature and all this for a very reasonable price.
FROM THE SPONSOR: Discover Central Europe is a joint marketing initiative run by the national tourism head offices of The Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, and Slovakia. Discover Central Europe has much to offer travel advisors looking to book an off-the-beaten-path cultural experience in one of the most storied parts of the world. For more information, and contacts on-the-ground in each country, go to https://centraleuropespecialist.com/.